[lit-ideas] Re: Link to "Mohammed" cartoons

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2006 08:22:35 -0800

According to my morning paper (the Riverside Press Enterprise), Bush was
more nuanced that the headlines and references had us believe.  His
condemnation of the cartoons wasn't quite a condemnation as I see it.
Terrence Hunt of the Associated Press writes, "he defended the rights of
newspapers to print what they see fit.  But he felt obliged to tell the news
media they must be sensitive about their power to offend."

The article says that these were Bush's first words on the subject.  Hunt
says, "The president spoke out about the controversy for the first time."

Hunt writes, "On Tuesday, Bush had called Denmark's prime minister to
express 'our support and solidarity' in the wake of the violence.

"In the midst of a campaign to blunt widespread anti-American sentiment
across the Mideast, Bush sought to balance his remarks by urging the media
to be sensitive to religious beliefs.

"'We believe in a free press,' the president said.  'We also recognize that
with freedom comes responsibilities.  With freedom comes the responsibility
to be thoughtful about others.'"

Further down in the article, Hunt writes, "Bush said the furious reaction to
the publication of the cartoons 'requires a lot of discussion and a lot of
sensitive thought.'"

Lawrence