[lit-ideas] Re: Link to "Mohammed" cartoons

  • From: P.H.Lundbech <ml@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 09 Feb 2006 07:50:31 +0100

On Wed, 8 Feb 2006 18:52:02 +0000 (GMT), Judith Evans
<judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>I think you miss the point, which concerns offence.

Offence is irrelevant. There will always be someone who feels
offended when there's free speech and a free debate on important
issues. That is inevitable.

The point is in fact quite contrary to what Mr. Savory believes,
when he writes: "Muhammad isn't our prophet to depict however we
like."

Exactly because Muhammad isn't our profet, we can depict him
however we like. That does not mean that we should not try to be
polite or respectful towards the religion or culture of others,
but satire seldom is and after all the cartoons were published in
Denmark by a danish newspaper and so danish laws and customs
apply. We have seen much more offensive cartoons featuring Christ
published by the same newspaper and there is absolutely no reason
why Muhammad should be treated differently from any other
religious figure.

That is the way we do things here in our country. We do not force
muslims to look at pictures of Muhammad and their children are
not forced to draw pictures af the profet in school. But they
must accept that there are certain rights of freedom that are an
important part of our society.

P. H. Lundbech
Odense, DK