[lit-ideas] Re: Latin help please

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2010 20:23:51 -0800

On Jan 27, 2010, at 7:16 PM, Robert Paul wrote:

Hristos Voskrese, voistsino voskrese; kalinka kalinka kalinka moya.

> Not a clue what it means.  First word "christ" maybe?

This is what the chorus sings in that wildly popular Russian folk tune, 'kalinka, malinka,' which accompanies a dance I've seen Walter perform many times. Actually the chorus doesn't really sing all of it: 'hristos' means 'chorus.' and indicates who sings what.

Lyrics and translation at

http://www.moscow-russia-insiders-guide.com/kalinka- malinka.html#lyrics

If Walter had a better explanation, I would be faint with anticipation.

Russian army guys in fake mullets, dancing. Now that's a sight that must mean something. I think I'll consult the Mayans on when exactly the heartland will be turning liberal and fresh fish are to be had again off Dogger Bank, where of course the original incident was.

David Ritchie,
who knows too little for his own good in
Portland, Oregon