[lit-ideas] Re: Latin help please

  • From: "Walter C. Okshevsky" <wokshevs@xxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Robert Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2010 18:07:03 -0330

Quoting Robert Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxx>:

> >> Hristos Voskrese, voistsino voskrese; kalinka kalinka kalinka moya.
>
>  > Not a clue what it means.  First word "christ" maybe?
>
> This is what the chorus sings in that wildly popular Russian folk tune,
> 'kalinka, malinka,' which accompanies a dance I've seen Walter perform
> many times. Actually the chorus doesn't really sing all of it: 'hristos'
> means 'chorus.' and indicates who sings what.
>
> Lyrics and translation at
>
> http://www.moscow-russia-insiders-guide.com/kalinka-malinka.html#lyrics
>
> If Walter had a better explanation, I would be faint with anticipation.
>
> Robert Paul

Feinting Robert's anticipation:

He certainly takes me aback a few years. I haven't done a Cossack jig since
my days at Karl and Friedrich's. (Google for further details on this venue.)

It was indeed in that very restaurant that Sergei, Yulya and I wrote the lyrics
for the revised Soviet National Anthem. Yulya, it should not go unmentioned,
was a very popular Russian folk singer. She sang into the core of your guts and
heart. If you were human, you would cry.

Her music and lyrics captured and helped to define much of the spirit and
essence of the Russian soul. Yes, you can google her too and hear her songs. If
truth be told, Robert was quite smitten with her.  Alas, she had already given
her heart and body to one Walter I. Lenin. The rest is history.

Poi Andryushya!
Nam nye byts v pitchalye.
Da vazmiy garmonyie i igray na vsya vadi.
Tak igray cho bi gorye za plicayuet.
Chtob zashumelit ziloniye sady.

Na zdarovye, Valodsya