[lit-ideas] Re: Language Maven Wants to Know

  • From: Robert Paul <robert.paul@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 01 Feb 2006 20:29:20 -0800

TLM wrote:

One that I never got. Is it has proved or has proven? I'm going to guess proven. Anybody know?

It is proved, or rather, it is 'proved.' However, I think that this is another case in which usage has overcome former notions of correctness, and 'proven,' which used to be ridiculed in the way 'normalcy' once was, has carried the day.

'Proven' is a perfectly good word in Scottish law, where a verdict of 'not proven' can be returned, if the jury believes that the prosecution hasn't provided sufficient evidence for conviction but doubt remains about the defendant's innocence.

I submit in evidence the fact that my spell checker wants to change all occurrences of 'proven' to 'prove,' but allowed 'proved' without hesitation.

Robert Paul
Reed College