[lit-ideas] Land Sale quotes

  • From: eternitytime1@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2006 15:34:01 -0500

Hi,
Two different viewpoints on the sales of the United States National Forest and
Bureau of Land Management Land:

(from a Kansas City Star article)

Not sure that the real estate agents will sell me some of the land -- I don't
have the money to purchase it...but I bet I *value* the land more than any of
those who will buy it (per the Cato Institute guy)

The Missouri Dept. of Conservation people are not reallly happy, either...but
what can we do? The only way to keep the National Forest so that all us "little
people" can use it is if we sue our Collective Resources (ie tax dollars) which
are what (pretty much) got it for us...but if the ones in charge of our Tax
Dollars don't believe that we *value* it...how can the financial value that we
(collectively) spend in taxes mean anything?  <sigh>

Dreaming of getting away -- and better do it soon!

Best,
Marlena

"I am outraged, and I don't think the public is going to stand for it for one
minute," said Mike Anderson, a Wilderness Society policy analyst. "It's a
scheme to raise money at the expense of the national forests, the wildlife,
recreation, and all the other values that Americans hold dear. It's the
ultimate threat to the national forest."

Jerry Taylor of the Cato Institute said the proposed land sales make sense.

"Private property will end up in the possession of those who value it the
most," Taylor said.