[lit-ideas] Re: Lagniappe/Renee Morel

  • From: Robert Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 28 May 2006 14:37:50 -0700

David Ritchie wrote:

But when I go to my Larousse, I can't find "lagniappe." It's not in my Micro Robert either. Help... Renee Morel...are you still here?

It isn't in Larousse or Robair because it's a creole word.

http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=lagniappe

"dividend, something extra," 1849, from New Orleans creole, of unknown origin though much speculated. Originally a bit of something given by New Orleans shopkeepers to customers. Said to be from Amer.Sp. la ñapa "the gift." Klein says this is in turn from Quechua yapa "something added, gift."

"We picked up one excellent word -- a word worth travelling to New Orleans to get; a nice, limber, expressive, handy word -- 'lagniappe.' They pronounce it lanny-yap. It is Spanish -- so they said." [Mark Twain, "Life on the Mississippi"]

Robert Paul
Reed College