[lit-ideas] Re: Lagniappe/Renee Morel

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 28 May 2006 12:22:11 -0700

On May 28, 2006, at 11:32 AM, Robert Paul wrote:

Stan Spiegel wrote:

Thank you Robert for the gift of "lagniappe." Never heard that word before. When I looked it up, I found it was a gift. When would you use "lagniappe" -- as you've used it here -- instead of the more common "gift?"

When you were showing off? :-)

Or you could use it when you wanted to stress that the gift came with no burden. Eric's examples show two kinds of Louisianna lagniappe--the small gift, thrown in to make a commercial transaction seem more friendly and the greasy gift, the backhander.

But now my questions is, is the word in use in France? I think I remember my introduction to the term being at university in Grenoble. In the restaurant there would be "le plat"--the dish of the day--"la salade," "le dessert" and what I remember as "lagniappe," almost always a dish of apple compote.

This would be confirmed by Carol's comment.

But when I go to my Larousse, I can't find "lagniappe." It's not in my Micro Robert either. Help... Renee Morel...are you still here?

David Ritchie
Portland, Oregon