[lit-ideas] La Dolce Vita

  • From: "Andy Amago" <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "lit-ideas" <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2005 18:33:13 -0500

We just finished watching Felini's La Dolce Vita (got too late last to finish
it).  Fabulous movie.  I can see why Felini is so admired.  A discussion with
Alexander Payne (another director, I believe, in the DVD "Introduction")
compares Felini to modern novelists.  He said modern but I wonder if he meant
post modern.  I'm not well versed, really not versed at all, in 20th century
literature, so I don't know who I would compare him to.  Felini has an
awareness of the isolation, alienation, disconnection that is missing in movies
such as Dangerous Liaisons, where the characters are just as isolated but the
director seems unaware of it.  After we finished watching La Dolce Vita I felt
like there was something poked around, stirred around, inside me but I can't
quite say what it is.  Marcello watching, endlessly conquesting; Paparazzo with
his camera throughout, observing without caring; the sting ray at the end
blindly looking ...  Maybe profundity can't be put into words.  Not
  by me anyway.  I'm sure if I'd enjoy his more circus-y later movies but I
don't know.