[lit-ideas] Re: LAUGH OR CRY?

  • From: Robert Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2008 20:44:37 -0700

I'm not sure I understand the real difference between Bush's 'acknowledging' the UN before invading Iraq, and (let's say Putin's) ignoring it before invading Georgia. In October 2002 Bush had been given approval by Congress to invade Iraq with or without UN 'approval,' OR without giving notice to Congress (i.e., he could unilaterally invade any time he pleased).

Before that (in August 2002) White House lawyers argued that Bush didn't even need Congressional approval.

http://usgovinfo.about.com/library/weekly/aa082702a.htm

It's clear now that neither Blair nor Bush believed that UN approval was needed to invade Iraq.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2006/feb/03/iraq.usa

The UN failed to give Bush the 'second resolution' on Iraq that he wanted; but his saying he wanted it, and the pretense that what the UN did would somehow affect his actions or his policy is just that. At least Putin did away with the hypocritical gestures.

Robert Paul
(back to synchronized diving)

Phil wrote

There is an important difference between the dance Bush engaged in before invading Iraq and the immediate response from Russia. It is legitimate to question whether the Bush dance was a mere window-dressing for a decision made much earlier, just as it is legitimate to ask whether Russia suckered Georgia into this misadventure. But the fact that Bush had to acknowledge the UN before acting is an important difference. No matter how empty, it was a nod to the UN's role as an international body governing relations between nations. To this point, it appears Russia has ignored the UN, making its seat on the Security Council a farce. It seems to me that this might be a defining moment for the UN. Either the UN will assert itself as a rule-based international body for resolving conflict between nations or it will show itself to be a body whose sole purpose lies in being a venue for grand speeches and empty gestures.