[lit-ideas] Re: LAUGH OR CRY?

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2008 20:42:42 -0700

Well, yes; although I don't know how Friedman can be so certain about
American control over Georgia's actions.  I've read a fair amount about our
diplomatic relations with various countries in the past and can't off hand
recall a case where we were actually in control of another nation's military
actions (yeah we were in control of Japan, Germany, Iraq & Afghanistan while
we were in control of the country, but aside from that) --  but regardless
of that, I take Friedman's point.  I think America once again isn't facing
facts, facing the foreign challenges we are being presented with.   Yes, we
may be immune from being attacked as we were by the Japanese in 1941 or
attacked by a superior navy or air force, this is no longer about us.  We
are intertwined with a great number of nations around the world.  And we
haven't equipped ourselves to manage the world's problems.

The question Friedman doesn't address is whether we ought to be managing the
world's problems.  Niall Ferguson urges us to become an American "Empire,"
but we resist and if we ever become one it will be by backing into it.  It's
true our present military can't take on extra duty in Iran, Pakistan, or
Georgia, but why not?  We could if we wanted to; so we should either pull in
our horns and not make deals we can't keep (as with Georgia) or beef up our
military so that we can keep the deals we make.

Lawrence Helm

From: Mike Geary <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [lit-ideas] LAUGH OR CRY?
To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thursday, August 14, 2008, 1:40 AM

Is it just me or do others find it laughable that Bush should condemn Russia
for its invasion of Ossetia?  The man who sold America's birthright for a
mess or pottage -- or as Theodore Sturgeon once spoonerised in another
context:  "for a pot of message."  Never mind the legaility, morality,
justification or explanation of Russia's invasion -- how dare Bush open his
mouth.  God, I hate them all.  Jesus Christ, I hate them all so very, very,
very much.  But they do make me laugh.

Mike Geary

laughing because I'm in love with irony

in Memphis