[lit-ideas] Re: Katrina

  • From: Paul Stone <pas@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 02 Sep 2005 23:42:39 -0400

Dear Paul,
People are NOT born with knowing how mechanical things work. Many of us were not born into families of engineers and technology buffs--we need to take classes and maybe over and over again <g> in order to learn stuff that is hard for us.

All I'm saying is that ONE person in that 20,000 people must have had at least SOMETHING to say? It's just a complete lack of initiative. And I'm saying that it's because most people have become accustomed to NOT doing stuff for themselves. It takes a catalyst to meet the threshold level of action. Evidently, staring death in the face isn't enough to prompt anything but anarchy.

My library system was trying to find for ages someone to teach a basic plumbing class. We couldn't find anyone who would (and we would pay...) We had SO many requests for this--most people have to be taught and there are no places around here to learn it. (at least here--maybe in Canada it is different and you all are born knowing that sort of stuff)

Patronizing will get you nowhere.

I do hear the same sentiment ALOT in regards to people who do not know how to read--'it's their own fault'.

Well, in this day and age, I'd have to say "IT IS".

Sometimes people do not learn easily--or develop and comprehend more slowly and then by the time the brain is developed enough to be able to comprehend, you cannot 'catch up' to a structured class. (and if you are going to bed hungry every night and a kid, it's hard for the brain to develop properly anyway)

pshah. Poverty is a myth. Poor people, yes, real poverty is inexcusable in a civilized country.

Problem-solving skills are also not something you are born with--you are taught that.

I don't agree. I think you are taught to apply them. You either have them or you don't.

and you would have needed all of that in order to leave.

To just leave?

Mayor: "Citizens of New Orleans, please leave. You will drown, be washed out, be in terrible danger, starve etc." "N
Non Problem Solver: [moving forefinger on lips making noise] "Hell no, I'll ride this one out"

It's pretty easy to forget that, though, when you come from an intelligent middle or upper middle class upbringing

How about intelligent lower class. They must exist mustn't they?

(or you are from Canada where you are born knowing more practical stuff...)

[makes Tim Allen noise]

I simply cannot believe that the head of FEMA is not there helping to pull out bodies...it's the least he could do and should do in order to really get a sense of what is happening on the ground...

I can't believe it either. It's disgusting. I've already said that.

wishing I had been born knowing lots more than I do,

not believing that we are born knowing much of anything,

Mr. Locke