[lit-ideas] Re: Katrina

  • From: Eternitytime1@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2005 22:04:10 EDT

In a message dated 9/2/2005 8:54:45 P.M. Central Daylight Time,  pas@xxxxxxxx
writes:

News  people are disgusting, lower
than most lawyers. Roll up your goddamned  sleaves and help. Dictate some
order on this travesty. Quit reporting and  help

Dear Paul,
In general, there are many many in the television world that do fit that
stereotype. I spent some time playing with the concept of civic journalism (a
new-retired j-school professor at the Univ of Mo wrote a good book on this) and

got to meet many who were dedicated to this concept--but many others were not
 and were truly there for 'show' and 'ego'.  Or, they were dealing with
corporations who would slam them down if they actually did 'real' stories.

But--while many reporting on this disaster are there for 'show'--there ARE
many who are there for their own stations who ARE filling up their news vans
with people, giving out all that they had taken in, and trying to do what they
can to assist...all the while reporting.

It's too bad that many of those are not, really, the 'national' news
crews--but many of our local stations have managed to send people down to help
theoretically to help their 'sister' affiliate stations. (one of the radio
stations here was saying that the guy they sent down was being the announcer
for
that station because the station people simply could not announce things--and
 were doing what they could to help.

Just trying to balance things out...
Marlena in Missouri