[lit-ideas] Re: Katrina

  • From: Paul Stone <pas@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 03 Sep 2005 00:07:28 -0400

At 12:00 AM 9/3/2005, you wrote:

In a message dated 9/2/2005 10:42:53 P.M. Central Daylight Time, pas@xxxxxxxx writes:
Well, in this day and age, I'd have to say "IT IS".

It's really hard in some areas in even my town to FIND an adult education class. It's really more difficult to find someone to watch your kids while you go to it. It's really hard too when the piddly little job you have won't let you go take the one single day-time class that is available...

Ask a friend. Anyone who can read could teach someone else to read.

Come visit if there are no people in your area who cannot read and all have working cars and don't have to work two-three jobs in order to take care of Others. Sorry--trying to be funny again. <sigh> I really do know that you just don't know personally the ones who, when we are finally able to assist them, are so thrilled...and their kids are so proud.

Why do they have two-three jobs? Why do they have OTHERS to take care of when they obviously can't even care for themselves? Again, indirectly it IS their own fault. But we are taught NOT to take responsibility anymore. I know a person who wants to learn to drive. I've offered to teach her. She wants to take lessons "600 dollars". She still can't drive. Why should she pay for something I can give her? The "official"ness of things is what makes people helpless. There is a trust problem. Without "authority", people are suspicious. It's contagious.

Granted--there are some who have given up--but I know the ones who are broken inside but keep on trying...and for them, I grieve so much...and wish I had not gone to saviors' anon and started on that 12 step plan to keep from rescuing all the time...

I hope you are joking <g>

[insert pithy quote here]
Paul Stone
pas@xxxxxxxx