[lit-ideas] Re: (K)ant Kills Creativity

Veronica: I think neither one of us believed even before this that we are a "post racist" country.

Last week, I read the phrase, "our post-racist culture" in a Time Magazine puff piece about Obama being a child of Sesame Street, where there are rainbow colored birds and (in ZA) a bird that's HIV positive.

My point is that these "group" tags are pernicious. The judge was first presented to the public as a "Latina." Big whup. Who -- except racists -- care about her ethnicity?

Is she a good judge? Paglia seems to think she is quite intelligent enough for the Supreme Court, given that Judge S went to Princeton before racist quotas undermined its standards. (That's a paraphrase of Paglia's article, by the way.)

My intention in posting the article was the concluding remark about "cant killing creativity." In the sense that moral considerations are creative, cant (an absolute system) destroys that creativity.

Group tags also destroy creativity ... but that's another matter.