[lit-ideas] Re: Joyce on Rome

  • From: "Andy Amago" <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2006 09:23:03 -0400

Possibly, in which case it makes less sense than if he were talking about
ancient Rome.  It really doesn't make any sense.  I know Joyce was arrested
and unfairly if not unlawfully detained by the police in Rome.  Will
revert, as they used to say in Exxon (meaning I'll get back to you).  It
doesn't change that the Romans were brutal beyond words.  That is our
legacy from them as much as their numerals and aquaducts.  Crucifying was
policy for dealing with political and other enemies of Rome.  It was
intended to be more example than punishment.  A little off the subject, but
has it ever been proved that the Romans were in fact damaged by the lead
allegedly in their water?

We saw King Kong last night.  He went out to get a movie and comes back
with a metrosexual monkey.  Actually, it was better than I expected.  The
special effects scenes were way too long and gratuitous, the natives were
way too fearsome looking, but the love between Kong and the white girl came
through without being schmaltzy; it was quite nice.  What redeemed the
movie for me the most was the accurate portrayal of the human race in the
city as a bunch of brainless, heartless, ant-like jerks with big guns.
Ain't it the truth.