[lit-ideas] Re: Islamism and Islam

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2006 19:12:19 -0800

Marlena,

I think you are underrating Hirsi Ali who is fighting for all the things
Liberals used to fight for.  She is advocating nothing that is inconsistent
with a traditional Western Liberal Viewpoint.  She would say about your
Progressive Islam site that Islamic theologians would declare that these
progressives have left Islam.  No traditional or Islamist Muslim would make
such arguments. Article 7 for example is one of the main rights she has been
fighting, i.e., women's rights.  I suspect she would think Progressive Islam
would be a good thing if it could gain some legitimacy.  How many
Progressives are there in the Middle East?  I'll bet not many.  I'm tempted
to say "not any," because this looks like something cooked up in Europe.

And no that is not "the point - that there is NOT one definition of Islamic
belief."  That's taking the tangential quibble far too far.  I argued that
the term Islamist has become the technical term for describing the ideology
advanced by Sayyid Qutb, Khomeini and a few others.  It is against Islamists
that we are fighting.  Beyond that, I said that while I had heard of such
things as "Moderate Islamists," I believed such expressions were oxymorons,
or words to that effect.  I invited discussion, but only manage to get a few
insults.

I continue to doubt that there are "Moderate Islamists."  This is a doubt,
and I'd be happy to be proved wrong.  I quoted a source found in a Wikipedia
article; a very well-written article entitled "The West Muslim Allies" by
Andrew Bostom.  It addresses these very issues.  He sites Ibn Warraq's "own
brilliant essays, and poignant, harrowing testimonials from other ex-Muslim
'apostates," to be found in his Why I am Not a Muslim.  He also sites the
Dutch Liberal Party member, the Somalia-born Ayaan Hirsi Ali.  She goes
beyond my doubts and argues that there are no serious distinctions between
any form of Islam in any of the areas that impact Western Liberalism.  Islam
in all its forms is utterly incompatible with Western Liberalism.

Hirsi Ali is quite a trouble maker.  How can you not like her? Her she is
being criticized by the Dutch Prime Minister:
http://www.expatica.com/source/site_article.asp?subchannel_id=19
<http://www.expatica.com/source/site_article.asp?subchannel_id=19&story_id=2
7556&name=Dutch+PM+has+'no+use'+for+Hirsi+Ali's+cartoon+views>
&story_id=27556&name=Dutch+PM+has+'no+use'+for+Hirsi+Ali's+cartoon+views

Lawrence

  _____