[lit-ideas] Re: Is torture wrong by definition?

  • From: "Andy Amago" <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2006 09:30:28 -0400

They were just
> beating up the prisoners for the hell of it.

Stalin's purpose, possibly even stated purpose, in using torture was to
keep the population off balance.  That was a product of his paranoia.   I
love the argument that we need to torture because somebody else is doing it
and since we're morally superior, we need to do it too.  Makes perfect
sense, don't you think?