[lit-ideas] Re: Is torture wrong by definition?

  • From: Paul Stone <pas@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 06 Apr 2006 15:12:25 -0400

(2) A more general point about civilization.
Ninety-five percent of the world could be
"civilized," but if that five percent remain
uncivilized, they will compel the rest to resort
to "uncivilized" behavior and tactics.

Just last night, a friend of mine and I were sitting on my couch in the living room looking out the front window of my house. I said "look at that prick's car" (referring to my neighbour). EVERY day he parks his car in front of MY house, while in front of his house is empty as well as his driveway. He constantly drives on my grass as he tries to get as close to the gutter as possible. This guy is oblivious to the fact that I may not appreciate it. I've asked him not to park there. I've parked in front of his house. I've mown my grass so that it sprayed all over his car. I don't want to be uncivilized, but he's forcing my hand. My buddy said "simple dude, just get a handful of nails and accidentally drop them under where his car sits". And he's the FOURTH person to make such a suggestion; whereas I never even considered doing such a thing. Sadly, I actually considered it last night. Two wrongs don't make a right, but ONE wrong makes me unhappy. I don't think there is a law against parking in front of someone else's house on our street, but it's completely discourteous. Especially since he only has ONE car.

My point is that as long as there is ONE uncivilized person in this world, it will spread like wildfire. There's nothing else you can answer unwavering callousness with but the same. I can't love him into moving his cars.

Any [non-combative] creative suggestions?

Paul

Paul Stone
pas@xxxxxxxx
Kingsville, ON, Canada