[lit-ideas] Re: Is 'All men are mortal' unscientific?

  • From: wokshevs@xxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, John Wager <john.wager1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2008 17:56:22 -0230

Quoting John Wager <john.wager1@xxxxxxxxxxx>:

> How about the view that the claim "All men are mortal" is neither
> scientific nor analytic, but is "phenomenologically" true, that is, true
> for each person when they examine the structure of their own lives as
> they live them?

WO: Would this not make phenomenological truth equivalent to universal truth,
and thus, in keeping with our traditional conception of truth?
"Phenomenological research" has been gaining quite a currency in educational
research in the UK, US and Canada. I have never been able to make out how the
research under this rubric is actually "phenomenological." Colleagues insist
that I must know something about this paradigm given my study of the likes of
Husserl, Heidegger, Merleau and Schutz. They are disappointed when I say that I
don't see how their research projects, claimed to be phenomenological, really
are phenomenological. Surely, having a stream of consciousness conversation
with a few people at Starbuck's in the wee hours of the morning does not count
as a phenomenological epoche. Perhaps John W can enlighten us (and explain what
"true for each person" could possibly mean. (If it's anything like "true for me
but false for you," it's surely an incoherent notion.)

Walter O.
MUN

(Yes, we have been blessed with alot of snow .... I mean, ALOT of snow.)