[lit-ideas] Re: Irene/Andy's scenario and a challenge back to her

  • From: John McCreery <john.mccreery@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2006 00:22:15 +0900

One last comment: Have you ever considered how logically spurious it
is to appeal to degrees of difference and then paint the parent-child
spanking encounter has having (you seem so absolutely sure) only one
possible meaning? Have you ever considered the possibility that when
the child says, "I am a jerk, that's why they are hitting me" that the
only correction needed is "I'm behaving like a jerk, that's why
they're hitting me," a valuable learning experience.

Obession with an idee-fixe is not, IMHO, rhetorically very effective.

John McCreery
The Word Works, Ltd.
55-13-202 Miyagaya, Nishi-ku
Yokohama 220-0006, JAPAN