[lit-ideas] Re: Iran (2), First Front

  • From: Ursula Stange <Ursula@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 04 Feb 2006 17:09:35 -0500

If they killed 10 people, it wouldn't frighten the country. And don't make the mistake of assuming that I'm somehow condoning what they did.
Just trying for a little analysis.

The US government could have detonated an atomic bomb on a remote pacific island and invited the world to watch. But no, they dropped it on 250,000 civilians. Better, faster effect.

(And, no, I didn't check the number of civilians just now -- going from memory, but the point would be the same...)
Ursula

Eric Yost wrote:

The point of terrorism is to kill 3,000 and frighten 30,000,000.

Yeah, and they were trying to kill as many people in the WTC as possible by striking when they did. The rest they could terrorize via TV.

They couldn't poison the water supply effectively, but they did investigate many other methods, as documents from Afghanistan showed. They did the most damage they could, and that is their stated strategy.

I can't believe you're writing this nonsense.