[lit-ideas] Re: Iran (1), The Revolutionary Imperative

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 4 Feb 2006 09:27:49 EST

Judaism is an ancient culture with its own set of traditions.  It's  not
primarily about belief.  It's about community and ethics in living  everyday
life.
 There's very broad spectrum out there from Ultra-Orthodox  to Conservative
to Reform (some joke about the Reform movement as referring to  the 618
suggestions, not commandments).  But belief or no in God, a Jewish  family will
generally celebrate a wedding ceremony in the traditional way.   And have their
son
circumsized at a bris.  and so forth.  I know  people who are passionately
Jewish in their identity (both Zionists and  anti-Zionists, to muddy the water
bit more) who do not have any particular  faith that God exists.  Take a look
at a Reconstructionist Siddur --  your local Synagogue will have a copy --
choose a passage, e.g. Moses leading  the Hebrews through the Red Sea and the
parting of the waters.  Find the  chapter and verse in the Reconstructionist
Humash, the Conservative, and the  Orthodox.  The translation isn't
particularly
what's important here,  what is important is the commentaries.  Compare what
each commentary says  about that passage and I think you'll get a better idea
of exactly how much  Judaism is not monolithic!  (Then, if you're really
interested you  could compare the commentaries of the JPS, Fox, and Haart(sp?
--
I'm too  lazy to go in the library room and look at my copy) and really find
some  interesting differences <g>!

Julie Krueger
========Original  Message========
    Subj: [lit-ideas] Re: Iran (1), The Revolutionary Imperative  Date:
2/3/06 6:51:08 P.M. Central Standard Time  From: _aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
(mailto:aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)   To: _lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

When I first heard about atheist Jews I thought it was an  oxymoron.  I
couldn't picture it.  In fact, it seemed so impossible  that I compared it in
my
mind to being an Catholic Atheist.  How does one  do that?  Now you call
yourself a Catholic Atheist.  Can you please  explain?