[lit-ideas] Re: Inner Moral :Law

  • From: Ursula Stange <Ursula@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 05 Aug 2005 10:15:39 -0400

I read Turnbull's book back in the mid eighties, so may be remembering incorrectly. But I don't think that the horrendous situation in Iraq can be compared to the dissolution of Ik society. The Ik were forcibly resettled from their mountain home by Idi Amin to a place God forgot.

As a mountain people, they had had a rich heritage of mythology and ritual, but it was too connected to their mountain home to follow them when they were relocated. Turnbull attempts to record exactly what the Ik lost and to account for the seeming ease with which they let it go. With mounting horror, he describes a descent into a hell where familial co-operation proved counter productive, where friendship was dispensable and where, finally, the only respite from loneliness was a silent sitting together, punctuated with argument and derisive laughter. Turnbull makes a valiant effort to remain a neutral observer, but his horror and anguish are visible on every page. He dedicates the book to the Ik whom, he says, he learned not to hate. It was the best he could do, he says.

"They have made of a world that was alive, a world that is dead, a cold, dispassionate world that is without ugliness because it is without beauty, without hate because it is without love, and is without any realization of truth even because it simply is."

Ashley Montagu, on the back cover, ventures to write, "An important book, for it represents an anthropological field study of a unique people -- a people who are dying because they have abandoned their humanity." But it seemed to me that it was precisely Turnbull's point that they have abandoned their humanity because, as a people, they are dying.

I don't think what the Iraqis are suffering, while also horrific, is similar. Family and community bonds seem strong. Mythology still serves.

My two cents,
Ursula

Andy Amago wrote:

Serious question.  How, if at all, would the current situation in Iraq
compare to the Ik? (I know nothing of the Ik.)  Iraq is pulled into many
directions, Sunni/Baathists, Shiia with their Irainian connection, the
foreign fighters streaming in from everywhere, the criminals.  Civilians
are targeted and killed regularly.  Is there anthropological precedent for
this?  The USSR under Stalin had to be an anthropological oddity as well,
for which they are now paying the price.  I wonder if there's any
comparison.

Andy