[lit-ideas] Re: Inner Moral :Law

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2005 06:13:31 EDT

<<Or, as my Daddy used to say when I said, "I  didn't mean to"â"You
didn't mean not to.">>
It must be a generational thing.....  if I had a  nickel for every time my
Mother said that.... and I catch myself copying it to  my kids.
carry on scientifically now
Julie Krueger

========Original  Message========     Subj: [lit-ideas] Re: Inner Moral :Law
Date: 8/3/05 8:46:12 P.M. Central Daylight Time  From: _mccreery@xxxxxxxx
(mailto:mccreery@xxxxxxx)   To: _lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

On 2005/08/04, at 9:00, Robert Paul  wrote:

> 'If then whereas we wish for our end, the means to our end  are
> matters of deliberation and choice, it follows that actions  dealing
> with these means are done by choice, and voluntary. But  the
> activities in which the virtues are exercised deal with  means.
> Therefore virtue also depends on ourselves. And so also  does vice.
> For where we are free to act we are also free to  refrain from
> acting, and where we are able to say No we are also  able to say
> Yes; if therefore we are responsible for doing a  thing when to do
> it is right, we are also responsible for not  doing it when not to
> do it is wrong, and if we are responsible  for rightly not doing a
> thing, we are also responsible for  wrongly doing it. But if it is
> in our power to do and to refrain  from doing right and wrong, and
> if, as we saw,1 being good or bad  is doing right or wrong, it
> consequently depends on us whether we  are virtuous or vicious.

Or, as my Daddy used to say when I said, "I  didn't mean to"â"You
didn't mean not to."

John