[lit-ideas] Re: Inaugural Poetry

  • From: Donal McEvoy <donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2009 18:54:15 +0000 (GMT)

--- On Thu, 29/1/09, Paul Stone <pastone@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> As I read it, I could almost picture an agitated speaker
> with a
> handkerchief wiping his sweating brow after each
> "yes" and breathing
> the deep-intake of a Southern Evangelical
> "da-uuuuuuunh",

But are Southn. Evangelgls. much given to squirm-inducing political
correctness?:-

 "As the parent takes his child to school
And the parent takes her lunch bucket to work"

Daddy is a house-husband. Mommy is a career woman. Subtle, it ain't. Maybe, to
further subvert stereotypes, she's taking her KFC to one of those iron girders
in the sky where she skips along like a nimble goat working the shift with
those brethren Amerindians with a head for heights. They aren't working for
some evil capitalist conglomerate or on a site paying mafia kickbacks either.

>In case anyone gets the wrong
> idea, YES, I am
> trashing, YES, the idea that, YES, a poet-laureate of an
> individual
> state is a necessity... YES!

Amen, brothers and sisters, amen!

Donal