[lit-ideas] Re: In Search of Generous Reading

  • From: John Wager <johnwager@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2005 17:34:58 -0600

John McCreery wrote:

. . . .
To me, all of these reminiscences point to a notion that I call
"generous reading." It might also be called "generous listening." We
read or hear someone say something interesting but notice something
that seems wrong. In today's argument culture we are all habituated to
leaping on "that seems wrong" and, thus, too often, derailing our
conversations into Punch-and-Judy shows. What if, instead, we learned
to bracket "that seems wrong." Not forget it, mind you. If something
is genuinely wrong, it represents a problem that will have to be dealt
with. The suggestion is that we start by asking, "What was it that
made this interesting?" and deal first with the question, "What can we
do with that?"

From Bertrand Russell's A HISTORY OF WESTERN PHILOSOPHY p. 39 in Simon & Schuster paperback edition:

In studying a philosopher, the right attitude is neither reverence nor contempt, but first a kind of hypothetical sympathy, until it is possible to know what it feels like to believe in his theories, and only then a revival of the critical attitude, which should resemble, as far as possible, the state of mind of a person abandoning opinions which he has hitherto held. . . . When an intelligent man expresses a view which seems to us obviously absurd, we should not attempt to prove that it is somehow true, but we should try to understand how it ever came to SEEM true. This exercise of historical and psychological imagination at once enlarges the scope of our thinking, and helps us to realize how foolish many of our own cherished prejudices will seem to an age which has a different temper of mind.

What he said.