[lit-ideas] Re: Illegal Immigration

  • From: Eternitytime1@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2005 22:42:51 EDT

In a message dated 9/14/2005 9:04:31 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

Well, if blue collar people in Canada
are making in nearly six figures, why  aren't you a blue collar worker?

HI,
Paul, if you'll get me a six-figure job making cars, I'll become an
auto-maker.

We have two plants here in the KC area. None of the blue-collar guys make
six-figures.

In the past, they DID make enough to allow for the spouse to stay home with
the kids. (I have several friends whose parents worked for either GM or Ford
and  who are, still, extremely loyal to those companies solely out of
appreciation of  their moms getting to be home with them as they are not able
to do
with their  own kids.)  The current factory guys (I know a few) don't make that
much.  The engineers don't do too badly, but not the ones on the floor...
Ford is a little better than GM in that (here) they do have an onsite
childcare center which has very good high-quality childcare.  Very  good. It is
(relatively) new and was a wonderful benefit that they got  here.  Since they
are
building the Ford Escapes and the hybrids, their jobs  security is pretty
good, I think, too. But, not their salaries...at least, not  like in Canada,
apparently.

Julie--if we can get six-figure jobs in Canada, I think I'll leave our red
state. No wonder they don't have to worry about money in Canada...
Marlena in Missouri