[lit-ideas] Il Sonnambulo

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 5 Mar 2009 20:30:31 EST

Now, some journalists!

_www.dmoz.org/Arts/Music/Vocal/Singers/Classical/Sopranos/Sutherland,_Joan/_
(http://www.dmoz.org/Arts/Music/Vocal/Singers/Classical/Sopranos/Sutherland,_Jo
an/)   - 10k -

MONICA ATTARD:
And what's your favourite language for opera?

DAME  JOAN SUTHERLAND:

Well of  course, Italian and French.

        Italian first and then French.

        German becomes too  guttural; too many consonants
        as with English

       but the French and Italian flow  so beautifully.

-------

I was reading the bio of Bellini the other day (not the painter, but the
composer of La Sonnambula -- I was surprised that the inspiration of this was a

flop by one composer called
Antonio Speranza (Verdi quotes him

biblioteche2.comune.parma.it/dm/2044.htm

) called "Il Sonnambulo").

Bellini describes his days in London, and he had a bit of fun.

He tells us how he found himself at Drury Lane where Jenny Lind was singing
(in Italian)
La Sonnambula, while the rest of the cast he couldn't understand one word  of
what they
were singing. He makes a passing remark about the sounds of the English
language, but
I don't have the quotation to hand.

Cheers,

JL