[lit-ideas] Re: Ideology vs Experience

  • From: "Andy Amago" <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2006 15:52:47 -0400

It has been argued for centuries that it's in the nature of objects to
behave as they do, so let's not stop now.  No need for a displacement by
mass in the fabric of space to explain gravity; objects are simply drawn to
each other, that's all, and they fall down rather than up because it's in
their nature to do so.  Likewise with behavior.  It just is, that's all.
Poetic explanations are fine for those whose nature is satisfied with them,
especially in these New Middle Ages.  Just a coincidence I imagine that our
president is described by Woodward as intellectually uncurious,
disinterested.  Either that or he's the perfect president for the times, if
not for the country or the world.