[lit-ideas] Re: Ideology vs Experience

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2006 10:16:36 -0700

What are you doing Judy?  Are you asserting that "deal with" Pakistan means
"approves of" Pakistan?  I know Simon said I approved of Pakistan, but he
lied.  I have never approved of Pakistan.  In a number of messages I have
warned about the potential danger of Pakistan.  Pakistan has nuclear weapons
and they exported them to others.  I quoted the head of Stratfor, George
Friedman, to show how hard the US leaned on Pakistan to stop their Dr
Strangelove from exporting nuclear weapons. I quoted Friedman to say that we
had threatened to bomb Pakistan unless we got its cooperation in our plans
to invade Afghanistan and go after Al Quaeda.  Musharaff decided to
cooperate.  I have speculated several times about the Deobandi school of
Islamic Fundamentalism and why it gave rise to the Taliban and wondered
about the influence of Salafism on it.  I could go on and on.

To say we must deal with a nation as it is not the same as saying we approve
of it.  The same people who say that we shouldn't have removed one of the
most evil regimes in the last 100 years say we should oppose the regimes of
such nations as Saudi Arabia and imply we are hypocrites if we don't.  We
cannot change all the regimes we disapprove of, nor should we.  We are still
debating whether we should have changed the regime in Iraq and if we were
going to change a regime it would be the one considered the greatest threat,
i.e. Iran.  But I would prefer leaving them alone as well -- getting along
with them if we can find some way to deal with them as they are.  Does this
mean I approve of Iran?  No Judy it does not.  No Simon it does not.

Lawrence

  _____