[lit-ideas] Re: I shall tell you this only once

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2007 20:39:39 -0700

I have been occupied with that eternal four-lettered obstacle to the leisure classes, but I have had time to test Geary's hypothesis re. my neon light bulb and yes, indeed, 'twas busted. I have also had time to watch a number of episodes of "Dad's Army," which was a series about Britain's laughable effort to defend itself against the victors at Dunkirk. At that historical moment, aside from the Royal Air Force, Britain had a few pill boxes and some Lewis guns...and the Home Guard, volunteers who had been rejected from military service or who were too old for military service and who now wanted to "do their bit." Had the Germans invaded, the Home Guard would have been capable of very little effect, but their gesture was heroic.

Someone realized some time in my youth, that the Home Guard was stuff of farce. So the team who went on to create "'allo, 'allo," wrote "Dad's Army," about a bank manager who commands a platoon consisting of his subordinate at the bank, Corporal Jones (who was with Kitchener in the Sundan), Walker a Black Marketeer, Fraser, who had been a cook at Jutland, Godfrey who had a weak bladder, Pike, whose mother always wanted him to look after his health, several other characters.

If your library has copies, you might try the series. At least enjoy the opening credits, in which someone sings, "Who do you think you are kidding Mister Hitler, if you think Old England's done?"

Onward.  And sorry about Sunday's poem.  A tired effort.

David Ritchie,
Portland, Oregon