[lit-ideas] Re: I need advice/input...

  • From: "Julie Krueger" <juliereneb@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2008 21:15:52 -0500

On Sat, Aug 23, 2008 at 6:54 PM, Teemu Pyyluoma <teme17@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Bigger keyboard, display. More power for the same money. In practice, none:
> you can hook a bigger keyboard and a display to a laptop, two displays is
> actually very useful.

That's my inclination for home...

> As for power, I am writing this with the cheapest HP laptop I couldn't
> find, bought it for my wife, and there are absolutely no performance issues.
> It is in general damn impressive for a low-end consumer machine. Don't go
> for the smallest memory configs though.

I've not gone for the smallest memory configs in my life.  Considering that
laptops are, as L. points out, more challenging to do hardware upgrades to,
what would you consider to be adequate RAM to serve for a couple years or
so?

> <<But in general, apart from the obvious advantages, laptops use a lot less
electricity. And precisely because computers have gotten so powerful they
have also become power hungry. Laptops battery constraints keeps this in
check, they are designed to consume as little electricity as possible.>>

My laptop experiences have frustrated me in terms of the limitations of
their batteries and the price thereof.  I'm hoping that's improved
significantly in the last few years.

<<And why exactly do you need two computers? Just run two environments in
one.>>

Prolly cuz I'm not terribly well informed or hugely wealthy.  There's
probably a relatively straightforward way to accomplish what you refer to,
but I don't know that I have time for that particular learning curve or
financial resources for the hardware.

Unless I misunderstand what you're saying, I think what I would optimally
wish is the inverse -- one environment (if I could mesh them both easily) on
two computers.  I've just about decided that the office is going to have to
have its own physical desktop for purposes of use by in-office
warm-body-answering-the--phone personnel.

"Shul" is shorthand for the local Synagogue where I'm playing executive
administrator/consultant for the time being.  There almost certainly needs
to be a desktop computer where a receptionist can enter contact information,
calendering, etc., another employee can update calendering & make
appointments for staff, etc.  I would, again optimally, like to be able to
mirror the same stuff that's at the office from my home -- whether desktop
or, more likely, laptop.  Web-based app's allow that very nicely.  Other
kinds of app's depend to a certain extent on the tech-savvy quotient on the
part of the employees.

Julie Krueger