[lit-ideas] Re: Hutus hate Tutsis and both are angry with Hercules

  • From: "Judith Evans" <judithevans1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2007 17:51:31 -0000

> or as I initially universalized it:
>
> a whopping 73% had no comment on any issues that would
interfere with
> their savage prejudices

re

with these pre-existing views of the U.S. serving as
> perceptual screens, enabling individuals to select
considerations
> from TV news that only confirm existing anti-American attitudes

1.  so, we may think,  Muslims are no different from people
elsewhere (which is, you'll
say, what you were saying all along?)?

2.  (despite 1) this passage doesn't adequately convey the
paper's findings
(we might say, you selected considerations...) in that the less
"anti-US"
the media, the less "anti-US" the viewer, *regardless of
pre-existing views*.
Hence, perhaps, the authors' call for the US government to work
on
increasing positive portrayal of the US in Pan-Arab television
news stations.
I quote

The Bush administration can enhance this
strategy by continuing to provide the same recognition and access
to Al Jazeera
that is provided to U.S. news outlets, as well as encouraging
coverage of the
U.S. by Al Jazeera that is not overtly political, promoting
coverage of
cultural, economic, and social aspects of American life. However,
the
contemporary political and security climate poses several
obstacles for this
strategy. For example, the temporary closing of both the New York
Stock Exchange
and NASDAQ to Al Jazeera financial reporters in spring 2003
should be viewed as
counter-productive to U.S. public diplomacy efforts.
(Etc.)

I accept they believe this can only have a minor effect. They
believe -- yes I
have read the paper's conclusions now, this and the preceding
point are
taken from its final section -- that

Short of substantial changes in U.S. political, economic, and
foreign policy,
widespread hatred and loathing of the U.S. in the Muslim world is
likely to
continue.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

I fail to see how this justifies your Hutus hate Tutsis mantra
(also the
Hercules addition; would, we might think, that the US were indeed
engaged in sluicing the Aegean Stables) -- it sounds to me as
though "Hutsis" hate "Tutsis" except when they don't.  Ingroup,
outgroup,
outgroup conflict muting ingroup conflict and promoting ingroup
cohesion;  yes, normally.  But why do you feel the need to employ
examples from the Western First World's Other?

Judy Evans, Cardiff