[lit-ideas] Hume and Geary on 'oil'

  • From: Rhyme and Reason <rhymereason@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2004 13:38:25 +1100

Thanks JL,   for responding with such pertinence, promptness and =
pleasure.

It was something along those lines .  Hume speaks here of the =
relationship=20
between money and commercial life.  The relationship I was pursuing was =
between=20
manners (perhaps????)  and moral life.

money is to commerce, as oil is to the turning wheel
???? is to moral life, as oil is to the turning wheel

I think the quote I'm looking for is from Treatise on Human Nature.

Janette

On Saturday, December 11, 2004, at 12:15  PM, Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx wrote:

> In a message dated 12/10/2004 8:10:20 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
> rhymereason@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
> Can  anyone help me remember a little something David Hume said about =
morals
> ... it was something to do with the small mundane acts that maintained =
the
> moral life....  he might have mentioned  'oil'.
> Ta
> Janette
> ----
>
> With pleasure. It might be this:
>
> He said about _money_, though. (But cf. Geary, vol. IV, Ethics and the
> Dollar).
>
> _http://socserv2.socsci.mcmaster.ca/~econ/ugcm/3ll3/hume/money.txt_
> (http://socserv2.socsci.mcmaster.ca/~econ/ugcm/3ll3/hume/money.txt)
>
> "Money is not, properly speaking, one of the subjects of commerce;
> but  only the instrument which men have agreed upon to facilitate the
> exchange of  one commodity for another. It is none of the wheels of
> trade: It is the oil  which renders the motion of the wheels more
> smooth and easy."
>
> Cheers,
>
> JL

RHYME and REASON