[lit-ideas] Horowitz v

  • From: Robert Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2007 18:32:51 -0700

Sometime last year, David Horowitz came to Reed to debate Peter Steinberger, Professor of Political Science and Dean of the Faculty. The topic seems to have been something having to do with academic freedom and the alleged one-sided views and presentations of college and university faculties. I didn't attend. The debate was apparently lively and at several points acrimonious.

The Reed link is a to summary of the debate and a long downloadable audio. I haven't listened to it. Horowitz groupies will have a chance to hear the Master's voice.

http://web.reed.edu/reed_magazine/winter06/columns/NoC/steinberger.html

The second is to a transcript posted on the site of Students for Academic Freedom. I have no idea and haven't tried to find out what their political views are.

'Klackamas' County should be 'Clackamas County.'

http://www.studentsfacademicfreedom.org/archive/2006/August2006/ReedCollegeSteinbergerDebate082806.

Robert Paul,
Sometime scholar at The Reed Institute