[lit-ideas] Re: Honor? Charles Taylor anyone?

  • From: "John McCreery" <john.mccreery@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 17:29:40 +0900

Sounds good to me. SOS strikes my fancy. Phil?

John

On 5/17/06, Chris Bruce <bruce@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 16. Mai 2006, at 15:16, Phil Enns wrote:

> As far as I know, I am the only one who has responded to John's
> suggestion of working through Taylor's _Sources of the Self_.  The book
> is rather intimidating, both in its size and scope, yet also quite
> readable even to those who are not students of philosophy.  I would
> like
> to encourage listers who are interested in the topic of the modern self
> to consider taking part in the discussion.  My guess is that the book
> is
> in many libraries.  Also, John has made an excellent choice in choosing
> the first chapter for discussion.  It is accessible and thought
> provoking.  I have asked John to hold off on the discussion so that
> others can join us.  If people would like to join us, we can wait.  So
> please let us know if you would like to join us.  Thank you.

And, thank you, John and Phil, for your generous offer.  I'd like to
join in.  I have a problem - I'll be away from access to e-mail for 8
days  (May 28th-June 5th), and very busy in the time from now until
then, so I won't initially have much to say (or, more accurately, will
probably have too much to say, and insufficient time in which to
articulately express it).  Could we agree on some short, easily
identifiable tag to the 'Subject' header so that it will be relativel
easy to access discussion from the archives?   I'm thinking of
something as short and simple as (CT) or (SoS) …

Chris Bruce
Kiel, Germany

John McCreery
The Word Works, Ltd., Yokohama, JAPAN