From: Lawrence Helm
To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: 5/9/2006 1:32:51 PM
Subject: [lit-ideas] Re: Honor: A History

Irene,

You really should study logic.  It is mind-numbing to try and follow your line
of reason.  In fact ?reason? isn?t the right word to apply to what you do.

?Honor? has several definitions.  I take Bowman to mean the first definition in
my Webster?s New World College Dictionary, especially ?good reputation and
credit.?

Logically if you oppose Honor then you prefer dishonor, for that is it?s
opposite.  You don?t want a good reputation.  A bad one will serve you quite
well.  The fact that honor is understood by children doesn?t mean that is
childish and something adults should avoid.  It means it is in our nature.  We
don?t grow out of childish honor into adult dishonor. We grow, in fact we used
to grow, to have a more sophisticated or adult sense of honor.  We don?t worry
about a good reputation in regard to being the first to eat our porridge, but
we value our reputation at work and we want to be considered honest and
trustworthy.

We and the Islamists have a different sense of honor.  Just because they kill
daughters who they feel have dishonored them doesn?t mean that we should eschew
honor and choose dishonor in its stead.  ?Doing the honorable thing? in Western
society, as Bowman writes used to be considered a virtue.  In fact if someone
were to stop and think about it logically, it still is.

Lawrence