[lit-ideas] Re: Hmmm... all hype?

  • From: Chris Bruce <bruce@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2007 08:27:23 +0100

On 12. Feb 2007, at 21:59, Julie Krueger wrote:

Dust bunnies???  Try .... dust .... elephants....

.. which reminds me of an acquaintance of mine who used to talk about her dust dinosaurs - which, I think, said something about *her* vacuuming schedule (or thoroughness).

On the urban vs. rural vacuuming frequency: from familial accounts I would suggest that the amount of dust in the house (and hence need for more frequent vacuuming) may largely depend on whether one lives near a paved or unpaved (i.e., gravel) road (and perhaps the amount of traffic upon it).

Does rain wash dust out of the air? Could this (i.e., the fact that urban Kiel with its paved roads has much more rain than rural Manitoba with its gravel roads) contribute to the fact that my house is much less dusty than my sister's?

Chris Bruce
who just swept (quaint notion)
most of his floors yesterday, in
Kiel, Germany

P.S. I asked my local native 'language expert' what 'dust bunnies' are called in German. She offered a conjectural translation, but then asserted, "I don't know - we don't have them here." (I'm thinking that perhaps in Germany this - like other sensitive topics - is one that is 'swept under the rug'. However, as i am in charge of sweeping and vacuuming in this household her assertion that any I see are 'imported' is in a way justified.)

-CB