[lit-ideas] Re: Hmmm... all hype?

  • From: Eric <mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 16:36:50 -0500

>>I just wonder if the decision about when to vacuum has a psychological component. Isn't household dust mostly sloughed-off skin and therefore a function of how many people pass through the space?

I don't know. Anybody? I wrote based on my own experience. NYC is incredibly dusty -- not as much chemical pollution as LA but more particulates. Within NYC, the East Village is a lot dustier than West End Avenue by Roosevelt Park. The upper East side near the Guggenheim is midway between the two extremes. Again, just personal experience.

More personal experience. I clean my apartment on Friday and travel to a place in the countryside that hasn't been touched since I last visited it a month ago. The place in the countryside is immaculate; when I return to the NYC apartment after a weekend, it's covered in dust. When I spend long periods in the countryside, there's hardly any cleaning required. Returning to NYC, it's back to cleaning at least every other day.