[lit-ideas] Re: Hmmm... all hype?

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 13:32:25 EST

Some of us don't vacuum household dust as much as we do cat/dog hair
shedded, detritus from a woodstove, spilled bags of freetos, large liquid
spills  --
okay, I'm clearly moving into the shop-vac arena.  Wonder when an  automatic
one of *those* will appear.  Until then, I wouldn't trade my  shop-vac for any
other appliance in the house.

Julie Krueger

========Original  Message========     Subj: [lit-ideas] Re: Hmmm... all hype?
 Date: 2/12/2007 12:04:42 P.M. Central Standard Time  From:
_ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx (mailto:ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)   To:
_lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

On Feb 12, 2007, at 9:13 AM, Eric  wrote:

> On the other hand, it is so nice to go to the  countryside where one
> can get away with vacuuming only once a  week.

Surely we should take a moment to celebrate the adaptability of  the
human form.  Eric's contention is that there is approximately seven
times as much dust and crud in New York air than there is out in the
countryside--I'm guided in this assertion only by the frequency of
vacuuming.  And yet in the countryside people plough the land, burn
refuse, drive diesel-spewing machines, cut down trees, wear high
heels...

What's my point?  I just wonder if the decision about  when to vacuum
has a psychological component.  Isn't household dust  mostly
sloughed-off skin and therefore a function of how many people pass
through the space?

David Ritchie,
Portland,  Oregon