[lit-ideas] Re: Hitler/Stalin

  • From: Andy <mimi.erva@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2009 19:21:25 -0700 (PDT)

Conscience is an interesting idea.  My understanding is that conscience comes
at least in part from attachment/bonding to mother in infancy.  Children who
don't attach, I think the reasoning goes, are at risk for not having a
conscience.  Personally I think the master emotion of *appropriate* shame is
responsible for keeping people in line.  That's in place by the age of two I
think (guilt is established by the age of four).  Much of society's woes comes
from vastly *inappropriate* shame, which is an inappropriate, unearned sense of
defectiveness that's handed to the child in one form or another that later gets
projected onto others.  (Clearly that was Hitler's problem.)

Focusing on the child is a step in the right direction, much better
than treating them like nonentities.  But focusing on the marriage creates
healthy children and adults.  The marriage is like the soil in which the child
(the plant) grows.  Adoring the child is like focusing on the plant and not the
soil; that's what breeds entitlement and NPD (narcissistic personality
disorder; Hitler was adored by his mother while nearly killed by his father;
nothing to make anybody crazy there).  Children need to feel safe and
accepted.  That's surprisingly not that easy to come by.  Historically being
sent away to boarding school certainly was no exercise in safety and it was the
norm.