[lit-ideas] Re: Hitchens on Moore's flick

  • From: Stephen Straker <straker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 08:01:54 -0700

I said (re: Hitchens on the golf scene in "F-911"):

>> Hitchens is making this up. Neither Eisenhower nor Clinton ever did
>> anything like this. (BTW - Some of us will recall that Kennedy, who
>> enjoyed golf, refused to be photographed with a golf club lest he appear to
>> be, like Eisenhower, too unengaged and lackadaisical.)

"scribe 1865" ... proper name, please! ... refers us to:
> http://www.golfinnyc.com/golfing_presidents.htm
where we find out that
> ", golf has made its mark on the most powerful office in the world.
> ... at least 15 U.S. presidents teed it up in their day.
> ....Eisenhower had the first putting green built at the White House.
> Bill Clinton was probably the most photographed golfing president...

Indeed. But what is pure make-belief is Hitchens's idea that Eisenhower
and Clinton, like Bush, used golf to show off their manhood. They were
leisurely gentleman golfers, unwinding. Ever in his script, Bush is a
NASCAR golfer.

Stephen Straker

<straker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Vancouver, B.C.