[lit-ideas] Re: Hitchens on Moore's flick

Friday, July 2, 2004, 7:17:39 PM, Robert Paul wrote:

RP> Eric posted the address of some more 'reading for [me] to scoff at.' I went
RP> the site and read it carefully, looking for evidence that Clinton had 'sold
MIRV
RP> technology to the Chinese.' The topic was not even addressed.

I found a likely source for Eric's claim (except that it, too, does
not make the MIRV claim) in a piece by a man who writes for softwar.
It concerns the sale of *encryption* (that's the Motorola/Pres Waiver
business), its true target is Al Gore.

It is not that coherent a piece as it points out (in an initial attack
on Gore) that anyone can get hold of the source code anyway (that
isn't why it attacks Gore...)

RP> As for wanting MIRV technology

and China, a poor country, has other priorities

RP>  (if you're uncertain about just what this is, Eric will explain
RP>  it to you),

right...

RP>  one reason the Chinese may have wanted it  (aside from national
RP>  pride, paranoia, wanting  to keep up with the world's greatest
RP>  superpower)

and the US Senate's unhelpful record on disarmament treaties (cf Salt
II)

RP> is that it would have countered the  obscenely expensive and
RP> embarrasingly  unworkable Star Wars program,

right

RP> Is this is meant to be evidence supporting Eric's initial claim, the claim
that
RP> several of us questioned? The subtext here is that Clinton sold MIRV
technology?

perhaps I should answer this -- my googling's turned me into an expert
on these allegations against Clinton... -- and then again, perhaps
not...

--
Best regards,
 Judy                            mailto:judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx