[lit-ideas] Re: Hitchens' Hypothetical Iraq War

  • From: "Judith Evans" <judithevans1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 1 Apr 2006 17:47:16 +0100

JE: "I read that _The Times_ published a UK Govt memo that showed Bush and
Blair
  knew there were no WMDs."

  ck: It was in the NYT (front page, online) yesterday, I believe.

  thanks, Carol.  The memo probably can't be published here -- I think it and
others are under a D-Notice.

   ck>A longer feature ran last Sunday. Is there any doubt, any longer, that
Bush was merely looking for reasons to justify a war that he was intent on
having, as the memo says? According to this memo, Bush also considered
"planting" a phony provocation by Saddam--to wit, shoot down an American plane,
but accuse Saddam of the shooting.

  JE>I'd read that in our media quite some while before the memos were leaked,

   ck>(Q: Is Lawrence reading the media lately, I wonder? Does he believe all
mainstream media is completely without merit, regarding the US invasion of
Iraq, and subsequent war? How has he managed to miss this verification of
earlier suspicions--or does he simply dismiss this memo?)

  it probably counts as anti-American.

  ck>aka Sneezy

  hey sorry.  Could be worse, you could be Condy (sorry...) being demonstrated
against over here!

  Judy Evans, Cardiff