[lit-ideas] Re: Historians & Bush

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2005 20:09:33 -0600

Phil Enns asked as to my statement:

"... as Brother Nietzsche said: there are no facts, only
 interpretations. "

Is that a fact?

Is what a fact? That Nietzsche in fact said that? Hmmmm. Interesting question -- interesting because I've never read the "quote" myself -- only read secondary sources that claim he said it repeatedly in his notebooks of the 1880's. I purposefully didn't enclose it in quotation marks fearing that someone like Phil would want me to cite chapter and verse -- as if that would make it a fact. What makes a fact a fact? That the fact in question is, in fact, the case of the world, or one of the cases of the world in any event. Take Coca Cola, for instance. There's a fact for you. A world-wide fact, in fact. But come to think of it, what is the fact of Coca Cola? That it is? It what? A charter of incorporation? A mega global corporation with all it's power and influence over governments? This particular bottle of cola? A word? Depends on how you interpret it I guess.

Or are you asking if it is a fact that there are no facts? Akin to the proposition that the only thing we know for certain is that we can't know anything for certain.

Or are you being sarcastic.

All depends on the interpretation, I guess.

Mike Geary
Memphis