[lit-ideas] Re: Here's a fellow who gets it right

  • From: Ursula Stange <Ursula@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 13 May 2006 09:42:01 -0400

And a fellow who got it right 2500 years ago....
The people should fight for their law as for their walls.
Heraklitus

John McCreery wrote:

Via Newsvine

-----------------

America's Choice - Freedom or Fear?
News Type: Opinion — Sat May 13, 2006 1:11 AM JST

Brad Farris

Should we be concerned? Of course.

Should we do everything within our power to prevent such an attack, no
matter what the cost? Absolutely not.

We should do everything in our power to prevent such an attack, but
absolutely not at the expense of our freedoms and civil liberties.
Those freedoms were bought and paid for by men and women over the past
200 years in many ways, including making the ultimate sacrifice for
you and I. We owe them in equal measure to that which they have paid
for our freedom. We owe our children the ability to live in the most
free and open society on the planet, not simply some country that used
to be free. We must understand that the most important battle we can
fight is the battle for our freedoms, and that we must choose to fight
that fight over all others.