[lit-ideas] Re: Helm's World

  • From: Eric Yost <eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 07 May 2006 12:18:23 -0400

LH: '...war is part of the human condition. It is a fact of life.'

Simon: Whose life though? Is war a neceassary condition of modern society? No, since modern wars are almost exclusively fought in underdeveloped regions of the world - the exceptions being those states and areas that have an underlying racial tension that has lain dormant.

Eric: Depends what you mean by modern. High modernism in literature for example begins around 1910. By that measure, "modern societies" would include the great industrialized world wars of the past century.

And have things changed irreversibly? I think not. Without adequate force to counter aggression (Saddam invading Kuwait for example) all the wonders of our modern world could vanish in a couple years. Any collective progress we have made is tenuous, is partially enforced militarily, and could easily be undone.

Take away the Pax Americana and what would you have? Much more international piracy. Dozens of nuked-up little despotisms. Tiny wars, some of them nuclear, and a possible quick slide into barbarism and despair.

If we could replace Pax Americana with something else, it could be better (e.g., well-maintained spheres of regional influence) or worse (e.g., a world run by China). But the point is that whatever entity imposes world order does so in part by military force.