[lit-ideas] Heil Jaspers!

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 5 Nov 2009 18:07:47 EST

In a message dated 11/5/2009 12:51:34 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
jwager@xxxxxxxxxx writes:

My  dissertation was mostly on Karl Jaspers, who
has always seemed to me to be  both more philosophically interesting and
more politically helpful than  Heidegger, but Jaspers is hardly known at
all outside of Germany. To be a  "Heidegger" scholar is to be on the "A"
list for jobs in continental  philosophy; to be a "Jaspers" scholar is to
be  relegated to adjunct  status at a second rate school at best.

----

This reminds me of Geary on Bonifacius. "Surely your research interest
should NOT be motivated by whether it will land you in a first rate  college".

I think "Heil" was not used a lot. For Hitler, and perhaps Hesse, or a few
others. It means, I think, holly, or it possibly means, "Hi".

Grice wrote in "Logic and Conversation"

"Heidegger is the greatest philosopher".

in 1967. He was considering whether people would take him seriously.

--- Heidegger was once 'in' in Oxford. Notably in 1929. Ryle wrote the
review of _Sein und Zeit_ for Mind. But then came Hitler.

Palma has distributed some good notes re Heidegger as 'translator', which I
 always admired. To think that philosophy for example is the wisdom of love
is  just ... original.

--- Etc.

J. L. Speranza
Bordighera