[lit-ideas] "Have You Stopped Beating Your Husband?"

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2009 18:35:07 EDT

In a message dated 6/22/2009 6:26:00 P.M.  Eastern Daylight Time,
Jlsperanza writes:
In a message dated 6/22/2009  6:21:08 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
There  is an old trick question "How often are there 28 days in February?"
to which the  correct answer is supposed to be "always", because even in a
Leap Year there are  still at least 28 days. But the 'implicature' of such a
question is surely that  we read it as asking "How aften are there only 28
days, and no more or less, in  February?".
----

Grice loved trick questions, as that per the title.

I found out that the earliest equivalent in Latin logic was:

   Tu no cessas edere ferrum

You cease to eat iron.

-----

Grice dedicates 65 pages of his "Causal Theory of Perception" -- now online
 in S. Bayne's history-of-analytic-philosophy website -- to the trick
question.

For him, the implicature holds in the negative, not in the  affirmative:

    No, I have not stopped because I never started.
    Yes, I have stopped -- and I feel relieved about that  (<---- for
scenarios of the hubby-beating wife).

I had forgotten that Stubbs (who also mentions the "Jeopardy" Henry-VIII's
number of wives, also mentions the leap year.

How many balls (at least) must a bat have?

Similarly, for the question,

   "Where is your wife?"
   "In the dining room or in the kitchen"

-- the implicature is cancellable for houses with a passage that connects
both, and when the wife is lying in between.

Cheers,

J. L.
grill. (http://food.aol.com/grilling?ncid=emlcntusfood00000004)